Wednesday 1 April 2009

Jade Goody

So the professor gave us an idea to write on and I thought I would take the opportunity. Ok

Since I am American and just got here, I don't know anything about Jade Goody before she was sick. I just came and their were all these magazines with her face on them.

She had cervical cancer and she passed away from it. She got paid from magazines to be able to have right over pictures and such. She did it so her boys could have some money. But this drives me crazy. We don't know this woman. People keep saying that she really brought attention to cervical cancer which is true, but this woman was not someone in society that we had given any merit. She was a celebrity, with no actual talent, just a celebrity from being on Big Brother. And I believe before she got sick she wasn't well liked. She was accussed of racism and acted like an ass in the house apparently. That's one of my biggest problems with reality television celebrities. We praise nothing. They are there for us to critique and love and hate. We're emotionally invested in people we never meet. And usually, we like to see them crumble before our eyes. Their like toys. They subject themselves to this for the money and the fame and we gladly welcome it.

It's great that she caused society to look at cervical cancer. But we have to come up with a better way to do that. I don't know this woman and I feel extremely uncomfortable knowing that I never seen this woman a day in my life but yet..I have seen her DYING. And now she is gone. Something about it doesn't feel really good (soul wise). I feel voyeristic. Even commenting on it is making me feel a lil uneasy. I just think our society has a unnatural, unhealthy investment in peoples lives in the media. We make people celebrities just to watch them stumble and fall and to hate them and to like them and whatever. We get so invested in their lives we hardly look at their art (especially reality tv stars because they technically dont have one). I say we cause I have did it. and I think its dangerous.

But I also need to clarify. She did it so her boys could have money and I certainly don't judge that! It's one of those things where I can't say "oh well shame on her" because it's not the fact that she did it, it's the fact that it was an option.


And just in case you don't know what a cervix is (shame on you) here's a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment