Saturday 11 April 2009

Bad Cinema


Lets talk about Bad Cinema.

No one's artistic vision should be hampered with. But this concept is not uncomplicated. The movie industry is male run and male oriented. Movies are made for white men by white men. Of course, once in a while, we get movies that are made for women (but still, of course, by men) like Sex in the City. But usually if the woman is in the lead, she is meant to be an object. She is there for the male gaze. Women's issues are rarely taken seriously in cinema and when they are, their of course independent and not mass produced.

I felt like I needed to say this before I started talking about "Observe and Report." A new Movie by Jody Hill (male) with Seth Rogen and Ana Farris. It is a movie about a fucked up guy played by Seth Rogen. I wont get all into it. But in one of the trailers, they show the scene of Seth having sex with a passed out Ana who wakes up to say "Why are you stopping motherfucker." On my regular feminist websites, feminists have shown their outrage. Date rape is not funny. People have debated whether the scene is date rape or not. Which is idiotic. If you don't/cant give consent, then its rape. Its simple. My question is, is it okay to make jokes at serious issues? Issues that affected so many women EVERY DAY.

Many people are outraged because date rape is something that is so common. I forget the exact statistics but its the worst on college campuses. I hear that the biggest issue is that in the movie, Ana Farris, is slut shamed. Slut shamming is when women are shamed for partaking in sexual activities. She's a common character that shows up in a lot of movies, majority. And if your a slut and you get drunk and then your date raped...well you asked for it?...Yea, fucked up but that's how a lot of people think. Especially the demographic for this movie. That's why many people are outraged. It only feeds into the already fucked up beliefs this particular demographic has on women and women's bodies.

But does that mean that it shouldn't be shown in the movie. I hate it. I hate the thought of it. I am hoping that when I see the movie, it will be (like some people who have seen the movie are saying) a situation that is supposed to add to the disgusting nature of this character. I hear that they are marketing the movie wrong, that it is a very dark comedy. But I dont know. Date rape is something that is serious and many people need to understand this. It's nothing to joke about. But does that mean we have a right to tell people that they can't put it in their movie. Can movie makers only show date rape in a serious light? I mean, their are so many questions that go with censorship. When is it okay to put date rape in a movie? A part of me is screaming NEVER. Not until it stops. Not until women's bodies stop being violated. Not until the movie industry isnt male dominated and male oriented. I know what your thinking too...are you going to see this movie? Yes, because I want to see the scene in its entire context. I need to know for certain if it is meant as a joke or not.

Bad cinema is such a complicated topic. Because it always brings up censorship. Argh. But as a feminist movie lover, I know how much the film industry affects society and reinforces patriachy. ACK.



No comments:

Post a Comment