Friday 24 April 2009

Eating Cats and/or Dogs


Oh yes I did put a picture up of my cat. And no I wouldnt eat her. She is just too adorable. I would never eat a "pet." But that is my topic of today's blog.
Okay, I want to start writing but I cant stop looking at that cute little face. Tabitha Sammantha is her name. She is my love. Shes getting fat too!
So. Now. Where was I? Yes, is it okay to eat cats and dogs?
To me that's just asking if it is okay to eat Animals. Which I think I will save for another post, eating animals in general. This time I will just write about eating cats and dogs. The idea of eating pets.
Its pretty simple though. All animals are animals. Just because we can "domesticate" some doesnt mean that they stop being animals. I love how western cultures like to look down on many eastern cultures for eating dogs and cats. Its like "Oh no, cats and dogs, no no. But pass me some pig." Pigs are animals and actually YOU CAN have them as a pet. And we have fish as pets but we eat those.
I think its so convienant for the west to make judgements about the east. Partly because of racism. Its us and them. People who eat cat and dog are the OTHER. It's ridiculous. Anything that any other culture does that the west doesnt do just seems to be gross and savage and whatever. But the fact that (I dont know if British do it) American meat markets cut the feet off of young cows to make their meat good enough to veal, doesnt seem all that superior?
I think its interesting. Because I think countries that ate cat and then stopped did so because of the stereotypes and hatred placed upon them in the west. In some Asian countries it is seen as western and hip and a sign of being of wealth to have pets because having pets isnt really common. On a side note, I think that a lot of people actually think that pets are common here. Like if I just had Tabitha and one day said I was hungry and killed her and ate her. It isnt like that.
Also, if your dirt fucking poor and you aint (yes, aint) ate in days and you see a lil fido or snickers walking by...you gone eat. Thats it. Im sorry. If you are hungry and poor and on the streets, and you have some kind of access to a frying pan. You would eat a cat.
I wouldnt eat a cat or dog because I love em too much and I have been socialized not to. But that doesnt mean I am going to racially stereotype people for it or look at them as if they are some savage nonhuman creature. Let's get a grip! The West is not the right and everything the wrong. Some people need to take their heads out of their asses and get a world view, not an euro/ethnocentric one.

No comments:

Post a Comment