Saturday 11 April 2009

Comments

Response to Tipper, Alexandra on her/his blog entry about smoking:

But if you know smoking is addictive, why would you do it? Why start smoking? Being an alcoholic is not like being a smoker. It is pretty much inevitable that people will become addicted to cigarettes, but not everyone is an alcoholic. I can't seem to feel bad for people who use "smoking is addictive" for an excuse when they knew what they were getting into in the first place. You dont have to stop if you never start. Alcoholism is an entirely different situation in my opinion.

Response to Denis, Alexandre R. on her/his blog entry about hooliganism:

I never heard the term 'hooliganism' until I came to the U.K. I think that this happens everywhere. Their are always going to be idiots who take sports way too seriously. I went to a high school that has a 100 year rival history with another high school. It's so serious that you can make bets on the game in vegas and they usually show it on cable tv. Its the Massillon Tigers vs Mckinley Bulldogs. It is high school football (Amercian football, not soccer). People fight about this game so much. People have even gotten jumped! And its high school for goodness sakes. Teenagers. I think its idiotic but I think people just identify with a team so much they lose themselves in it. I don't think it will ever stop. Some people are just way too aggressive (which I think is reflective of the game itself) and they dont know what to do with it.

Response to Kumar, Sudareth on her blog entry about drugs and addiction:

I know I hear the argument that people feel more creative when they take certain drugs (ive heard this less of alcohol of course). And I do believe it for weed or lsd or something. But I can see the other side of the argument. But I do feel everything is the way it is supposed to be. I think that some of my favorite writers/artists are my favorite because they were troubled. It almost sounds sick but I really feel connected to dark souls. People that can't really identify with the world so they take drugs to cope. It's not that I wish that for people, but I understand it. And I think it adds to the authenticity of certain authors writings. And I feel the same way about them dying early. I think its sad when people die early from unnatural causes but I think that it was just their lot in life. It is how they were supposed to go. I imagine that some of the authors that you talked about wouldnt even be famous if they hadnt had the death that they have. Our society has an obsession with untimely deaths. So I dont know. But as you mentioned some of the authors didnt die early and their addictions hampered their creativity. But that's what addictions do, they help you at one point and then ultimately cause your death if you don't stop. I guess it just depends on the individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment